Thursday, February 9, 2012

Gender Norms

I have never thought about my gender as a part of my identity until coming to India. There are different social norms that apply to women here, and I feel much more aware of my gender orientation.

For example, here is an outfit I would wear to school here in India.



I don't mind doing it, because I feel that I blend in, the clothes are light and comfortable, and they are pretty. However, it also demonstrates how I have to change my habits in India. Women in India don't show their legs or bear their shoulders. So even though it is really hot now and will get even hotter soon, I couldn't wear the tank top and shorts I would normally wear in this type of weather. I also have to wear long pants to the gym, which I normally would not do. These examples might sound a bit trivial, and it isn't like I can't easily adjust to them, but it is these small restrictions and others that make me feel uncomfortable in general about the idea of having any restrictions at all just because of my gender.

Also, in almost all of my classes we discuss how gender plays a role in Indian society in some way or the other. Usually, it is hard to stomach. In Public Health, we discuss "The Missing Girls in India", which happens because female fetuses are being aborted, women are being neglected during pregnancy if they are thought to be pregnant with a girl, and infant girls are also being neglected as far as their overall health and education--all because male children are culturally preferred. Currently, India is the most dangerous place to be born for a baby girl. These and other stories we hear regarding the discrimnation of women, despite the advancements India has made as a country, are really hard to hear.

Coping Method: With these situations, it is really necessary to apply a cultural lense. I come from a society where women don't face as many restrictions on their daily habits and interactions, but this is a different place. Saying "these poor women" won't help, because I don't even really know how they feel about having to dress very modestly all the time, for example. Saying "poor me" won't help either, because I am here to learn about and appreciate this culture, and that means some adapting is necessary. As for the discrimination issues, it helps to identify with those issues as a woman myself and use those stories as motivation to change something rather than just get angry or saddened by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment